Sunday, October 19, 2014

Favorite Paleo Cookbooks

When my doctor recommended we switch our diet to a Paleo style diet I felt totally overwhelmed. She also suggested cutting out all processed sugar, gluten, and diary. Eating lean proteins, natural fats, and lots of fruits & vegetables.

I walked out of the office nervous and unsure what that would look like for us. Alvaro assured me that we’d make the changes together & we’d be successful. I’d always had a major sweet tooth & we both enjoyed our weekly pizza date. But I knew that we could do it together as a team. That night Al suggested we go to Powell’s on Saturday and pick up a couple Paleo cookbooks. 

The first book we grabbed, was Nom Nom Paleo by Michelle  Tam & her husband Henry Fong. I’d come across Michelle’s blog before and really appreciated her approach to Paleo. Eating as much whole food as possible, but not being super strict to the rules all the time. During those first few weeks of getting an idea of what Paleo would look like for us, this book was such an incredible help. Also the recipes are so good! The Green Chicken & Madras Chicken Salad are some of our favorites! 

Buy from Amazon
A couple weeks after that I snagged Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo off Amazon. This cookbook is incredible! The first half of the book explains what Paleo is and some common ailments that improve from switching to this type of diet. Diane also created several meal plans to help with those ailments. It’s really great. Another thing I like about this cookbook is that it really is practical. The recipes and ingredients are simple & easy to make. Being new to Paleo it has really helped us stay on track and plan each meal. The Chicken Wings & Honey Mustard Glazed Chicken are on the menu almost weekly. So good! 

Buy it from Amazon

I’d followed Danielle Walker’s blog, Against All Grain, for a little while and even borrowed her first cookbook from the library to check out some of her recipes. When I saw that she was coming to Portland for a book signing, I knew I had to go & get her new book; Against All Grain, Meals Made Simple. The recipes are simple and easy to make. At her book signing she said that her goal with this book was to help those beginning this style of eating (Paleo, grain free, and dairy free) and also create classic meals that fit into that category. The Chicken & Rice (cauliflower rice) casserole is so so good! Also love her Ginger & Broccoli chicken.  I’m really excited to try some of her baking recipes because most of the Paleo dessert recipes include dairy. With the holidays coming up it’ll be the perfect time to do some baking experiments :) 

Buy it from Amazon
Do you have a favorite cookbook or cooking blog? Share in the comments below & I’d love to check them out! 

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I saw your comment over on Megan's blog about using gluten free mineral makeup. Wondered which brand and how you liked it. My daughter and I have both been gluten free for a little over a year now. My hubby and I cook out of the Practical Paleo cookbook quite often. We post a lot of our meals/recipes on my blog, so if you are looking for more head on over. Would love to have you. Some are recipes we have learned to adapt as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! The makeup is called Caren Minerals. They have great trial sizes too. Thanks for stopping by! Can't wait to check out your blog :)

      Delete
    2. I forgot to mention, I like the make up for the most part. I haven't been using it long, but like how light it is. Doesn't feel heavy or cakey.

      Delete