Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Kaylie Mariah

I’m standing in the delivery room at Salem Hospital while my sister is laying on the bed. I’m holding her leg. On the other side, my brother-in-law & my sisters best friend are holding her other leg. I’ve never been in a delivery room before. I’m not sure what to expect but I listen closely to every sound, every beep. Wondering if the change of the heartbeat is okay. 

I look down and see my sisters furrowed brow. The pain of child birth across her face. We encourage her through each contraction & remind her that the baby will be here soon. 

The doctor comes in and sits at the foot of the bed. Preparing his instruments & putting on his gloves and mask. Another strong contraction & my sister is pushing. The doctor turns around & basically catches the baby. She came so quickly I swear I heard him say “woah!” 

He scoops Kaylie into his arms & places her on my sisters chest. I look down and see that tiny baby. Her furry little shoulders. I start to cry realizing I just witnessed the most amazing thing & a true miracle. 

That was a defining moment in my life. I learned that life is precious. A healthy baby, family member, life; is not a given, it’s a gift. It’s to be treasured. 

------------

Story I shared in my Dale Carnegie class today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment