Thursday, March 6, 2014

Valentine’s day ... On the farm

Every year my parents go away to the coast for the long president’s day weekend. They go with a few other couples and rent a house. They love it and look forward to it each year. Unfortunately their dog got sick and had to have an emergency surgery 3 days before they were going to leave. So that meant they couldn’t board her while they were going to be away. That’s where Alvaro and I step in :) they asked us to stay at their house and watch the puppies (4), horses (2), and the recently acquired quail. Yes, a quail. What can I say, they are animal lovers. We were happy to help. 

So Valentine’s Day night we grabbed our usual heart shaped pizza, packed our bags, and headed over to get settled in for the weekend. It was dark when we got there, so we hurried and fed the horses and made our way up to the house. Excited to cook our pizza and watch some olympics. When Alvaro went to wash his hands he realized the water wasn’t working. My parents have a water pump and they just moved in a few months back so they are still working out all the quirks. Long story short, we spent about 30 minutes on the phone with my parents, with their friends, flipping breakers, and running between the pump house and the regular house. After about 30 minutes we gave up and decided we’d survive the night and use water bottles if we needed to. Then we’d head to our house in the morning. 

About an hour later while we watched the olympics we heard the faucets start to gargle. The water mysteriously turned on! Wahoo! Made washing the dishes and feeding the dogs much easier! 

The next few days went much smoother. We slept in, lounged around, drank silly amounts of coffee, and watched all the olympics we could. 

The last night there was a huge storm. It was insane! The trees all around us were swaying and the wind was shaking the house. We actually couldn’t sleep cause we were so worried about the trees. We got up, packed, and headed to our apartment at 3am. We were exhausted, but so happy to sleep in our bed. We couldn’t even hear the storm in our place! I went back before work and made sure everything was alright. No trees fell :) 

My husband is such a good sport. Giving up his weekend to help out my parents. All in all, we had a great weekend with some fun memories. 

ruff life for these puppies

No comments:

Post a Comment